Seafood products

Fill in the questionnaire

The new data collection has started! Take part now by filling in the questionnaire "CHE C’È NEL FRIGO OGGI?", from the 15th of May to the 20th of July help us collect new data on your consumption of fresh products!
We would like to understand what your knowledge of the products is and how and when you consume them to help assess the pressure on the aquatic ecosystems of the domestic consumption of food derived from the sea, if the pace of consumption is not too high to allow a renewal of the resources, if through the collected data we are in line with today's estimates and so on.

First detection results

From 9 to 24 May we made a first data collection, these are some of the results obtained (click to zoom).

Questionnaire status

Answers received: 106 - Last reply on 08/18/2020 at 14:40:42 (UTC +1)

Did you know that...

In nature, the populations of the various species of fish we consume, called fish stocks, are reconstituted in balance with the birth and death of its components, but are limited and in some cases are subject to overfishing. As a result, EU countries have taken steps to ensure that the European fishing industry is sustainable and does not threaten the size and productivity of the fish population in the long term. There is still no clear idea of ​​the impact of fishing on the fragile marine environment. For this reason, the Community Fisheries Policy (CFP) adopts a prudent approach that recognizes the impact of human activities on all components of this ecosystem. The fishing fleets must apply more selective catching systems and gradually abolish the practice of discarding unwanted catches (bycatching).
In 2018 the annual per capita consumption of fish, molluscs and crustaceans in Italy reached 29 kg, a decrease of 2% overall compared to 2017, with a decrease of almost 9% in the frozen bulk sector, of 6% for fish dried, salted and smoked and 3% for fresh fish. Italy produced in 2018 about 350 thousand tons of fish, molluscs and crustaceans (55% of fish and 45% of farmed), and therefore production covers only 20% of Italian consumption, while the remaining 80% (almost 1.4 million tons of fish products) is imported.